Our Chapter

Chapter History

During the year of 1936, there were three chapters of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated in North Carolina . They were Alpha Epsilon (Johnson C. Smith University), Alpha Nu (North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University) and Durham Alumni. During this same period there were only four alumni brothers in the area. There was one brother in Greensboro , two in High Point and one in Winston-Salem .Before receiving a charter, these brothers called themselves – Kappa Alpha Psi. Brother Wilkins, Keeper of Records, authored the petition for the chapter. Eight brothers signed the petition. In 1945, an officer from Charlestown, West Virginia Alumni Chapter informed these brothers to elect additional officers. The petition indicated that it was to cover Greensboro members only. In 1946 Greensboro (NC) Alumni Chapter was chartered with Reidsville and Burlington, North Carolina also included.

  

Charter members of the Greensboro (NC) Alumni Chapter

Brothers John Spaulding, Max Westerband, Melvin Alexander, Dr. W. Jordan and Warren Kennedy. The first four Polemarchs of the Greensboro (NC) Alumni
Chapter served in the following order: Brothers John Spaulding, Warren Kennedy, Ellis Corbett and Curtis Todd.
The spear header of the movement for an alumni chapter was Brother Warren Kennedy, who crossed the “Burning Sands” on May 26, 1926 at the Beta
chapter – University of Illinois . It is reported that Brother Kennedy knew Brother Byron K. Armstrong, one of the founders of Kappa Alpha Psi,
very well. Brother Kennedy was active with the Greensboro (NC) Alumni Chapter until his death in the early 1990’s.

Currently the Greensboro (NC) Alumni Chapter advises the following undergraduate chapters: Alpha Nu at NC A&T SU and Pi Theta, High Point University.